The Kundalini is a serpent goddess coiled three and a half times at the bottom of the spine at the Root Chakra. The three and a half coils are significant - it is the number of times the serpents of the caduceus cross. The spiral of the DNA double helix repeat every 3.5 angstroms (one angstrom is one-hundredth of a millionth of a centimetre).
The Divine union.
The purpose of wakening the Kundalini is to rise up through each Chakra in turn, up the spinal column, to unite with Shiva in the Crown Chakra, producing divine bliss through the union of the goddess and god. Stimulating the Kundalini to rise requires a lot of effort. Sometimes Kundalini experiences can happen involuntarily, which can seem a bit scary, as you may experience intense heat, profuse sweating, bodily twitches and involuntary spasms.
Different experiences occur depending on how high the Kundalini rises through the Chakras.
- Root Chakra
- At the base, the Kundalini arouses sexual delight, giving very intense orgasmic experiences.
- Sacral Chakra
- Here it will strengthen the body, stimulating the immune system.
- Stomach Chakra
- The Kundalini produces an enhanced appreciation of your environment, both people and places.
- Heart Chakra
- At the Heart, it creates feelings of universal love.
- Throat Chakra
- Feelings of oneness and faith in your abilities are created here.
- Third eye Chakra
- The goddess reveals the very nature of existence at the Third Eye Chakra.
- Crown Chakra
- Here, it creates feelings of total bliss coupled with notions of the infinite.
Stimulating your Kundalini
There are several exercises you can use to energise your Kundalini, the first involves Yoga exercises, the second includes meditation and the third applies a bit of sexual healing.
Chakra Balancing Exercises
The Kundalini will only rise up and pass through Chakras that are in balance, so if a Chakra is out of balance it will halt the ascent of the Kundalini at that point.
Helping the Kundalini
A period of daily work on your Chakras to make sure they are in balance is essential before trying to stimulate the Kundalini. Here are some tips that will assist in the ascent of your Kundalini.
According to Tantric texts, the spine should be straight to facilitate the Kundalini ascent, apply Yoga stretching techniques to help.
Abstinence from stimulants such as caffeine, alcohol and tobacco is also recommended.
A period of not eating meat beforehand, due to the dulling effect it has on the psychic centres, is also a good idea, this is one of the reasons why most practitioners of Tantra and Kundalini Yoga are vegetarian. Not eating beforehand is also a good idea as energy will not be diverted to digestion.
Your Meditation Exercise
Here is a simple meditation exercise that you can use to help the Kundalini along the Chakra system.
- Sit cross-legged (lotus or half-lotus is you can), and concentrate on your body's breathing.
- Close the right nostril with your right thumb, and inhale through the left nostril saying the mantra 'OM' three times. Om is the word of creation and will affect the Kundalini and Crown Chakra.
- Imagine that you are in a beautiful, natural environment - this will engage your Root Chakra - and picture drawing energy in from the air around you.
- Next close the left nostril with your little and ring fingers of the right hand, keeping your thumb in place. Hold your breath in for 12 Oms, sending the energy down the spinal column into the Root Chakra. Imagine that the energy is awakening the Kundalini.
- Release the right thumb and exhale through the right nostril counting 6 Oms. It can take some practice, so do not be disappointed if results aren't immediate.
Sexual Kundalini Stimulation
The term 'sacred sex' is used to describe the act of encouraging the Kundalini to rise through lovemaking with your partner, and for good reason. During such lovemaking, each of you should see your partner as embodying the divine - so the woman sees the man as the god incarnate, and the man sees the woman as the goddess incarnate.
Posture is also very important. If possible both partners should be sitting or standing so that they both have their spines upright. This is why so many of the pictures of Tantric sexual acts are depicted in this way. The foreplay beforehand should be very sensual, full of caresses and gentle touch to stimulate the senses and the skin, and you may wish to burn a sensual oil such as sandalwood or ylang ylang.
Remember to keep your mind focused the whole time on seeing the divine within your partner, and be slow and gentle - the aim is to encourage the Kundalini to rise and this can take time.