When you start working with crystals, you also need to think about their care. As you use your crystals regularly, you'll build up a personal link with them, attuning them to your body's unique energies. You can also charge them up from other sources of magical energy, such as the Moon. As you use the gems, the energies they've built up will be dispersed. You'll need to recharge them from time to time to keep them working at optimal levels.
Drawing Energy to you
This is especially important when you use your crystals to attract positive or healing energy to you. Regular charging will ensure your crystal acts most effectively as a magnet to those types of energy. Recharging your stones at regular intervals keeps them working effectively and also keeps the energies they affect focused on you.
Once your crystals have been charged to your specific energy signature, it's best not to let anyone else touch them, as they will work most efficiently for you alone.
When to Charge Crystals
You should charge your crystals during the waxing Moon, between the new and full Moons, when natural energies are growing with the increased moonlight.
Prior to charging your crystal, carry it in your pocket to strengthen the link between the stone and your energies.
Remember not to put your crystal in a pocket with metal items like keys or coins that might scratch it.
Follow the simple steps here to charge your crystal with the magical powers of the Moon.
You will need:
- A joss stick (the smoke represents the element air)
- A red candle (which represents fire)
- A small bowl of water (a shell makes an excellent container)
- A small bowl of soil (try to use an earthenware or wooden container)
- A bottle of an appropriate essential oil, such as frankincense or sandalwood.
Place the bottle of oil in the middle of the items representing the elements, with the bowl of earth above (north), the joss stick to the right (east), the candle below (south) and the bowl of water to the left (west) of the oil. This arrangement has magical associations of its own and will strengthen the charging.
- Begin your charging
- light your joss stick and candle. The joss stick's smoke represents the element of air, the candle's flame represents fire.
- Charge with air
- Pass your crystal through the joss smoke, saying: "I charge you with the powers of the winds of air". Then simply blow the smoke all over the crystal.
- Charge with fire
- Next, pass your crystal over the candle flame, saying: "I charge you with the power of the flames of fire". Visualise fire energy rising into your crystal.
- Charge with water
- Sprinkle water over your crystal, saying: "I charge you with the power of the waves of water". Visualise the energies of rain and ocean spray in the drops of water.
- Charge with earth
- Put your crystal in the bowl of earth, saying: " I charge you with the power of earth, from whence you came". Imagine the crystal absorbing earth energy.
- Anoint your crystal
- Now anoint your crystal with oil, saying: "I charge you with the power of the spirit of life, harmony and truth". Visualise energy passing through you into the crystal.
- Storing your crystal
- You crystal is now charged. To prevent it from becoming contaminated with unwanted energy, keep it in a silk bag until you need to use it again.